View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 06:50 AM   #4
Jean

Hi Diane,
Welcome to our very special site and I am sorry that you have been dx with bc....and yes we all understand your feelings and concerns.

What Jackie has mentioned about the size of your tumor and grade is all true. While we certainly do not want to put drugs into our bodies you must consider all your options to fight this disease.

Also stats are great when they are in your favor!

You did not mention the type of chemo your dr. wants to treat with...it sounds like A/C and taxol herceptin.

First of all let me share this....my tumor was grade 1,
small tumor...6MM - at the time of my dx. I was told no chemo/herceptin since the SIZE of my tumor was so tiny. When you think about considering treatment based on size - doesn't it sound silly? The cells in my tiny tumor were very aggressive...so does it sound wise to base your treatment decisions based on size... how about the character of your tumor. I had to fight hard to get treatment of herceptin off label since it had not be approved by our FDA at the time, unless you were a stage IV and your cancer had spread....very upsetting to digest this information. Yes, we do KNOW that herceptin works, for some it doesn't but there are other meds to work with if that should be your case.
But we do know thorugh the studies that herceptin is saving lives.

Now, if you are concerned about A/C chemo you could ask your dr. about TCH treatment which is showing through data to be just as effective without the risk of heart damage and the worry of leukemia.

But I doubt he will want to use TCH since you are weakly ER and maybe (we don't know) your PR status maybe negative also. If you were strongly ER positive that would change the treatment. I believe your dr. is concerned and treating with A/C and taxol for the best results for your treatment.

You were aggresive with your surgery by removing both breast. You must have the herceptin without a doubt,
of course I am of the mind that the chemo is also
important at this time. Years ago onc. would treat based on node status, that has changed also. We now know that cells can travel through the blood system without showing the node invasion. Your tumor was a good size....I had asked my dr. how many cells in a tumor of 6MM (my size) his answer was MILLIONS...
that was enough for me. Diane consider this...your lympth node is much like a catch basket in the kitchen sink...now consider a small tiny tomato seed that can easily pass through the basket and not be detected.

The odds are there with millions of cells that can get out into our systems. Her2 likes to travel...

Hopefully our future will be when we do not need these strong chemo drugs and we can use drugs like herceptin which only goes after HER2 and does not destory our good cells.

I am sure many other sisters will respond to your post and offer some information to help you thorugh your decision for treatment.

Please know we are all here to answer any questions and you are not alone...we are here to support you.

Wishing you all the best.
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006

Last edited by Jean; 10-01-2008 at 06:54 AM..
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote