Thread: Teeth
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2015, 09:55 AM   #8
Debbie L.

Re: Teeth

Me too, Suzan. Thanks for asking the question. I've thought to ask it before but have stopped myself, worrying that it's too trivial, in the big picture of breast cancer stuff.

In the past 5 years or so, it seems like every time I go in for a cleaning, the dentist suggests a new crown, due to cracks. My mouth is getting very expensive, even with insurance.

I have not had trouble with cavities, though. I'm guessing (but don't really know) that dry mouth issues = cavities, and something else = cracking?

I've assumed (but again, don't know for sure) that it's chemo aftermath, as I don't think most people have so much trouble at 63. Next week, when I'm scheduled to start yet another crown, I'll ask the dentist (both about dry mouth/cavities, and what could be the cause of cracks). I really hate dental work. I spend the whole time in an internal dialogue -- "okay, deep breath, relax your fingers that are clenched to the armrests". That lasts for about 30 seconds and then I have to do it again. At least my dentist is ultra-gentle, and stops for more novocaine at the slightest wince.

Debbie Laxague
HER2neu positive by IHC and FISH (8.89).
Lymphovascular invasion, grade 3, 8/9 modified SBR.
TX: Control of arm of NSABP's B-31 adjuvant Herceptin trial (no Herceptin, inducing a severe case of Herceptin-envy): A/C x 4 and Taxol x 4 q3weeks, then rads. Raging infection of entire chest after small revision of mastectomy scar after completing tx (significance unknown). Arimidex for two years, stopped after second pathology opinion.
2017: Mild and manageable lymphedema and some cognitive issues.
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote