View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 08:56 AM   #6
Jean

Hi Tricia,

Welcome to a wonderful group of ladies and gentelmen! I am sorry that you have been dx with breast cancer. I can relate to all your fears and what
is going to happen next? Everyone is different when it comes to the reaction
of the treatment and yet there are many similiar reactions that we can help
each other with by sharing. I had the same treatment of TCH I had six treatments every three weeks. My dr. gave me Emend & Prochlorperzine for nausea. The Prochlorperazine (10mg) to be taken every 6 hrs. My error was I was feeling okay and did not take the meds and the nausea just hit me and once it starts it is difficult to get under control. So therefore, take your nausea meds even if you feel fine and don't think you need them. My onc. nurse explained that it is vital to take the meds and keep them working in my system during treatment. Once I did that I was able to get rid of 85% of the nausea. Drink water during & after treatment keep yourself hydrated (this is very important). I found eating smaller meals (esp. during treatment) was a great help. Important to watch your diet, I also discovered having brown organic rice and fresh steamed veggies helped my system and I did not have trouble with diarrhea (fresh applesauce and bananas were helpful). By day 20 my hair was falling out in clumps. At this point I just went to the salon and had it shaved, for me it was just easier than having it fall out everywhere. (It does grow back). You will also find that you will have a foul taste and many foods will taste bad. Vinegar was a major problem and I had to have my salads w/o it. Cold iced coffee for some reason tasted the best for me. Give in to the fatigue and rest. I would have trt on Thurs. and went into work on Fri.
but by Sat. was feeling the fatigue strongly so I would rest Sat./Sun and by Mon. was feeling much better. I was able to work during treatment but if
I needed to take a Mon. I did or shorten my day I did that also. I also had the vision blurr but it also passes - I did use a saline eye drop. I also would experience headaches and Alieve would help. The hardest part was the pre-trt steriods which I had a hard time sleeping so my dr. did give me a mild med for that. Tricia if you have any other questions you can e mail me.
Once the TC part of trt is completed and you are just having Herceptin it will get much easier.

It was also necessary for me to have Neulasta shots after treatment
this can cause some bone aches and pains. I also just took alieve for
them.

During the trial comparing TCH and A/C - the TCH did very well with a slight difference but it did not have the risk for heart damage as A/C..treatment.

Try to think and be positive! Please realize that a dx. of bc does not mean
instant doom. Get several opinions and make careful decisions and follow
your good instincts. You will get well and be well, tell yourself this every morning!
I will keep you in my prayers.

Hugs,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.