View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 06:17 AM   #9
cafe1084

I posted on this a couple of years back. My sister was born on base and I was there from 6 mo old to 3 yrs old. They called my mom back in 1984 with a "survey" about our family's current health, but were very vague. My sister's teeth crumbled in her mouth as a child. We both have always had very frail teeth and oral problems. Dentists always think we have eating disorders because the enamel is non-existent. My dad was there for 8 years and suffered from 30 to 51, when he died with tons of unusual medical problems that can be directly linked to the contamination. So, when I, being very low risk, was diagnosed with breast cancer, I was shocked...until my mother reminded me of the contamination on base. I have researched and drove to base for a conference on the subject 2 yrs ago, then I started writing letters on the bill they were to run through the senate, only to have it pushed to the backburner. Reading the stories about the number of babies that died on base was eye-opening. Anyway, www.watersurvivors.com has alot of great links and info on the subject. Unfortunately, I don't believe anything will ever be The saddest part of it is that you don't have to go there to be poisoned. It's happening everyday in any given city or town in the U.S.

Previous post
Lu Ann,

That is certainly no coincidence! It reminds me of a show I watched where childhood cancers were 500x the US rate along power lines somewhere down in Texas. It is frightening to contemplate what we are being exposed to everyday!

I just learned over the last several months that the water where I spent the first 3 years of my life was toxic. My dad was a marine and we lived on base at Camp Lejeune, NC. A dry cleaner was dumping chemicals, which then found its way to the water supply for several housing areas. This went on from the 1950's through the early 1980's, affecting up to one million civilians and servicemen/women. The chemicals are proven to cause birth defects and several different cancers, including breast. My sister and I both have reproductive problems, mine starting as early as 13 with cysts on my ovaries and fibroid tumors. We both have literally no enamel on our teeth and her baby teeth crumbled in her mouth as they broke through the gum. I've had 3 miscarriages. Our children are all healthy, thank God! I don't know that this caused my breast cancer and I also understand it is very easy for me to lay blame somewhere, anywhere, as to why things like this happen to people. It may just be the plan laid out for me. I may never know, but in an odd sort of way, it eases my mind to know that it could have been someone else's fault and the blame doesn't lie with anything I may have done or didn't do.

If any of you lived on or near the base during these years, check out the site. Right now, since this has been made public, thousands of people are bombarding the lawyers office with calls and posting on the website, blaming everything from depression to ADD to anxiety on the water they drank and bathed in. These 2 sites should get any interested parties started.

www.watersurvivors.com

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/sites/lejeune/tce_pce.html
cafe1084 is offline   Reply With Quote