View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #244
R.B.

(I re-copied this to this thread as it is significant I suspect)

It all interconnects - what happy coincidences - The post on MS by Bill, and Hopeful of an MMP9 all come together at the same moment in a search for an article on MMP9 omega six and gene expression.

Conclusion Omega 3 suppresses MMP-9 which is a marker of MS and BC

http://www.springerlink.com/content/963788775224p348/

"The treatment with both ω-3 PUFA and fish oil dose-dependently inhibited the LPS-induced production of MMP-9. Our results suggest that a low fat diet supplemented with ω-3 PUFA may become recommended for the well being of MS patients under therapy."

MMP9 has been on my list of interest. I do not know exactly what it is, but saw a trial a long time ago that I will dig out that suggested the omega 3 and 6 significantly change gene expression of MMP9. I have been wondering ever since about MMP 9.

This was posted in articles of interest
http://breastcancersource.com/breast...48_0_0_0.aspx?
2 June 2008
Urine biomarker test confirms breast cancer precursor lesions
MedWire News: Matrix metalloproteinases can be detected in the urine of women with atypical breast hyperplasia and could form the basis for an accurate and convenient test for invasive breast cancer risk, researchers claim.

"Once validated in larger studies, such a test could potentially provide a useful adjunct for breast cancer risk assessment," Marsha Moses (Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA) and colleagues comment, adding: "The goal of identifying women at high risk of developing breast cancer and providing safe effective risk reduction to this group is compelling."

Matrix metalloproteinases are required for the "angiogenic switch" - an early and critical event in breast cancer growth and progression, Moses et al explain in the journal Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention.

Matrix metalloproteinase 9 (MMP-9) and a disintegrin and metalloprotease 12 (ADAM 12) are two established serum biomarkers in breast cancer.

Last edited by R.B.; 06-15-2008 at 12:34 AM..
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote