View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
Becky

Re: what is the current thinking on ooph for ER+

It depends on a number of factors. You don't say how old you are. Also, are you in menopause or chemopause. For example, like you, I stopped getting my period after the second chemo (had Ac followed by taxol so I had 8 rounds). About 6 months after my last chemo (and 9 months since having a period), I got my period back. I was on Arimidex (still am) so it was worthless until I got my ovaries removed. Lesson learned - get your LH, FSH and estradiol levels done (via blood test). It is the only sure way to ensure you are menopausal and not chemopausal.

I should have known better as I had had a gyne appointment where they wanted to do a baseline uterine thickness ultrasound. That ultrasound showed that I had ovarian activity (about 2 weeks before I got my period back). The activity was on just one ovary (that's all you need) and it appeared as if I was going to have a double ovulation - which I probably did since I had my period about 2 weeks later. Got ooph (was 46 at the time) and that was that. Just make sure, especially if you are taking an AI and not Tamoxifen. At least Tamoxifen protects you no matter if you are pre or post (or peri) menopausal.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote