View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #9
Unregistered

Re: towards a rational tailored approach to who should receive herceptin/lapatinib/bo

Lani:
I was in bed very ill for a couple of days, today when I returned to this Site, I found your so very kind reply to my questions to you. Thank you for your caring enough, to answer [so thoroughly and at so much lenght] even though I not a registered member of this site.
You are truly very special.
My right arm cancer is and has been for about three months, pervasive throughout my lymphedema arm flesh from my shoulder to almost my pulse. The arm's outer skin is highly inflamed with skin mets, my cancer is not in the bone, my lymph flow is almost nill, unless I massage it over the cancer [it hurts tremendously]. I was first diagnosed by my oncologist with infection to the arm and submitted to one month of antibiotics, which did not work at all. At my insistent requests my onc refered me to a dermatologist [I felt that it was cancer not infection]. The dermatologist did three punch biopsys in different places of my arm, all turned out breast cancer no longer Her2neu positive. My oncologist gave me no other information regarding it, other as I informed you, "that she wanted me to continue with Herceptin because there is no way to find out if I am still Her2 positive in other part of my body" he said....The skin metastases have since spread, invaded my Transflap right breast, and all of my right back and front toraxic regions skin.
I have read your reply to me intensily even though I am quite ignorant of medical terminologies and I plan to get very proactive regarding the matter immediately with the information you have given me. I also have one brain tumor which will be Cyberknifed soon, and spine tumors resurfacing. I am scheduled for a Pet Scan this coming week so we will see what alse...I am in severe pain. My oncologist also has said to me a couple of weeks ago, that I have at maximum three months to live if we dont change medication, but he does not know what else medication to give me. I have corresponded with Sheila on this Site, and because she appears to be doing very well with Halaven I have suggested it for me to him. He has been receptive to start me on it subject to me pre-signing that I will pay directly for the Halaven, as my insurance refuses to pay for it. I have signed for it at the cost to me of $28,600 per month he informed me. He will add Herceptin to it. Mybe next week I will start the new medication.
I am a very strong person in spite of all odds against me with my cancer, and I plan to fight against it with all my strenght. In the meantime it is informative and kind people like you to which we can turn to when our doctors let us down; For that, I thank you with all my heart. Patricia