View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
jml

Re: Lifetime's movie Five by Demi Moore

I've been curious about this movie, but not willing to watch it, so thanks for posting your opinions.
I'm just so leary of the melodrama that is so often depicted in movies about BC & Survivors, and as blasphemous as it is to say, I'm not a big fan of October Pink Ribbon Month either;(
I'm a salty, old 9+yr Stage IV'er and often find that "we" are overlooked - no stories about living WITH cancer for years & years and continuous treatment for years & years and bald time & time again, but still SURVIVING and THRIVING as so many of us here can attest.
Still waiting for that story to be told.
I heard the Stage IV character in the film goes into "remission", which is technically incorrect as the words "remission" don't apply to Stage IVers.
I just get frustrated when the myth about being Stage IV is perpetuated - that we are sick, bald, in a dark room and everyone's sad and depressed.
One lady told me that I must not have the "bad kind" of Stage IV BC because I've been able to stay active and "but you look so healthy, no one would ever know!"
I truly believe that when I was dx'd Stage IV @primary dx 91/2 years ago, if I could have seen my story, I might have approached Survival a little differently.
It isn't until I met the amazing family of friends here that I truly felt like I was home, surrounded & supported by those who really know and understand.
Not every story has a happy ending, but that doesn't mean that the life that was lived wasn't active, vibrant and happy.
Maybe Hollywood needs the drama, but I certainly don't!

Keep the Faith~

Jessica
jml is offline   Reply With Quote