View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
NEDenise

Re: How Have You Demonstrated Thanks For Help?

Hmmm...
Big surprise! Karen is thinking of others! NO wonder your friends and family want to help you!

I totally agree about "paying it forward"...and about a little note to say thanks. Usually, I'd agree that it's best not to "owe" favors. But in this case, I think most people view being able to help as a "blessing to them"...they want to make your journey easier.

Having said that...I have to admit, it's easier said than done.

Most of my help came from my work colleagues. I know they didn't expect a formal thank you. Some of the meals actually came with a note attached "warning" me not to "waste time thanking them".

So, since I don't take direction well, to thank them for all the delicious meals, cards, flowers...I filled a laundry basket with snacks and fruit...tied on a thank you note, and a few festive, thank you balloons...and left it on the counter in the office. It was very well received, and because of the wonders of Costco...was very easy to do.

Friends from church...they all got big hugs, and a promise to pay it forward. (Our church is a pretty close knit community.)

My sister...does not tolerate being thanked. So, instead, I shower her kids with love and attention...watch them when she has work, but they don't have school...and try to be the same sister I've always been...just the sleepy, bald version.

Hmmm...re-reading this, I realize that I first said it was unnecessary to formally thank the people who help...then proceeded to tell you what I do to thank them. Muddied that water right up, huh?!

No need to thank me.
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote