Thread: Just for fun...
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #190
NEDenise

Re: Just for fun...

Hi All!
What a great idea! I'm so glad this got bumped back up! I've often wondered what some of my HER2 friends do when they're not fighting the cancer beasties.

I am married to my high school sweetheart and very best friend. We've been a couple for 31 years...married for nearly 24 years. We have two wonderful sons, Jack 14, and Ben 13.

I have been a teacher for 26 years, and have taught every grade from preschool to 8th grade, except for 1st grade. The responsibility of teaching children the basics of reading...easily the most important thing they'll learn in school...has struck fear in my heart, and caused me never to venture into a first grade classroom. I was teaching 4th grade when I was diagnosed.

It's been exactly one year today since I left my classroom to go to the surgeon's office and get my pathology results. At first, I was anxious to get back to school. Then, I was too sick to consider going back. Now, I'm trying not to go back until the fall. I miss the kids, and I miss teaching. I miss my fellow teachers and staff members. I don't miss the paperwork....the testing...or my miserable principal. (I've been "sick" for an entire year now, and I'm still waiting for my first get well wish from her!) There are 5 other schools in the district...and I'm hoping that when I go back, I'll be assigned to one of them!

Anyway...my husband is an architect. He plays the trumpet, as does our son Jack. Ben, the younger boy, plays violin and French Horn. All three play in the wind ensemble at our church. (I would love to say that I play the piano...but alas...I do not.)

Our favorite thing to do together is laugh. We do an awful lot of it. We tend toward sarcasm, but not at the expense of anyone's feelings. For me, laughter really is the best medicine, and it's been a blessing to me during this whole BC ordeal.

We have a Norwegian Elkhound, Molly, whom we refer to as being pampered. (as opposed to being spoiled)

My hobbies are reading, crocheting, and chocolate. Not necessarily in that order. To say I love to exercise would be a lie...and my mother told me not to lie...but I can say that I love the idea of exercise. I often comtemplate it quite seriously. I've even had dreams about it...but so far...my motivation to do it while I'm awake is spotty at best.

Well...now you know a little about me...
If you're reading this and you haven't posted your "non-BC self" yet...

What are ya waitin' for!? We're dying to get to know you better too!

Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote