View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 11:32 AM   #3
Unregistered

Fish oils how much

A difficult question.

1. Strenghts of products vary.

2. Look at the quantities of EPA and DHA.

3. If you look up toxicity and fish oil on the web people appear to be taking from 1 to 15 g with out any serious side effects.

4. 3 and 4 grams for three months are referred to in reports of other medicinal trials. Bottled may be cheaper - at 800mg of each per teaspoon that would be about five a day. Mecury - I would expect most reputable brands are checked but ask. I saw an article suggesting that the fear was overstated.

5. It is important to look at your other fat sources and particularly omega sixes.

6. Omega three appers to have some preference, but can be possibly pushed aside if omega six is very high.

7. Common ground seems to be aim for a balance of 1;1, but others argue for 1;2 etc.

8. I have not checked this but presumably if previous omega six consumption has been high the body will have reserves.

I am sorry I cannot give you any definate answers. research information is limited. Individuals are different. I am afraid you will have to do a little research and make up your own mind.

I hope this helps.

RB