View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 01:20 AM   #1
ausborn

Unhappy Added Tykerb to Herceptin (w/o Xeloda)

I've recently been put on tykerb along with herceptin (over 5 years) and faslodex (2 1/2 years). Onc started me in December 5 tykerb tabs in the am. After less than a week I was vomiting with diarrhea and couldn't get a handle on it. After a couple of liters of fluid and visit with onc, we decided to stop the tykerb for about week...which was great because it gave me a good Christmas week. Upon restarting the tykerb, we decided to ramp up the dosage and change to taking it at night. Started with 2 pills and every 3-4 days add another one. Well I am at 4 pills and having a time with diarrhea everyday and just occassional nausea. Got a rx for lomotil which helps a little with the diarrhea. I am upset that I haven't been able to go up to the 5 a day my oncs wants. And this diarrhea will just be something I will have to live with. I've noticed the nausea seems to be more of an issue when I take my extended release pain med. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat...following the BRAT diet didn't help.

Couple of questions:
Anyone else just doing tykerb w/o xeloda?
Any ideas to reduce the diarrhea?

My QOL has been pretty good since my bone mets dx over five years ago. Recent progression to existing rib met and couple of new ribs showed up on last scans in December. Hence adding the tykerb to see if it would boost effectiveness of herceptin. I am really down about my declining QOL recently. Today was the last straw when I didn't make it to the bathroom..humiliating. If just adding tykerb has this kind of effect on me...how the heck am I going to handle chemo..the next step.
A very down day...I will see onc in about 12 hours. I'll see what she says.
Hugs,
Aus
05/2006 PET scan 4 tumors in breast (AGAIN),
Bi lat mast, stopped Femara, Zometa, began
Faslodex
06/2007 Progression to ribs, currently doing rads to ribs, continuing Herceptin and Faslodex
12/2008 Progression to same rib, two new ribs showing on scan. Began Tykerb, while continuing Herceptin and Faslodex
ausborn is offline   Reply With Quote