View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 08:25 AM   #9
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink A Thread Of Thinking That Needs To Be Followed...

The Mindbody Connection Is Real...
<HR style="COLOR: #cc0033" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Brenda D started a thread -- CAREGIVERS AT RISK? This is a copy of my post on that thread. Any others have similar stories around the time of dx?

I think it's important to share and note the connections...

The mindbody link is undeniable. Stress and anxiety compromise the immune system, lowering T cell count, disturbing sleep, lowering our Spirits... And that takes its toll on our bodies. Psychology is reflected in our physiology!

I too went through similar problems with my Mom and her *dying brain cells* causing her to have Alzheimer-like symptoms, become paralyzed, not know her name or mine, unable to care for herself ('89-'92). I arranged for round the clock nurses (like a little mini hospital administrator), plus visiting and stocking the house w/food and medical supplies of a large variety, arranging for ambulette to take her to doc appts as getting her in to the car was too much for me and a nurse. The wheelchair could go up and down the ambulette's ramp. Then, I found a nursing home for her (after scoping out all possibilities) and packed up her apartment, closed it down (as if she were dead) and moved her in to the geriatric center. Saddest day... Pathetic to see the shell of what used to be my Mother, unable to speak, communicate, feed herself... The works.

Mom was in that home from '92 - '01 when she died. I was dx in '95 and recurred in '98. Stressed out is an understatement. Broken-hearted. Grieving for her for so many yrs. That's when UNHEALED old traumas and old anguish come to the surface. We must learn to go deep within ourselves and do some self-investigation to bring resolution and transformation, to be the strongest, healthiest person we can become. Deep reflection can be transforming. NOW I know this. And I try to share my discovery with others, for their own good and wellness. We must all become aware of the impact of our stored up resentments and sorrows to best serve ourselves.

Thank you all for sharing this information. It is extremely helpful in learning to make the connection...
Ever pensive, Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote