View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
Rich66

On this note, I was spending a lot of time in a hospital in January while my Dad went through a bunch of issues. Another family was there trying to come to terms with a grandmother's situation. According to them, docs brought up the cost to society of keeping her alive. I don't know all the details but..didn't like to think this family was being presented such concepts at the time.

One concept I've heard that I am thinking hard about is making health insurance mandatory. When I was in my 20's I remember having discussions with peers that said they didn't have health insurance because they were healthy and figured someone else should pay for it anyway. Obviously, so many things regarding health are beyond control and can happen to anyone, anytime. Maybe if health insurance was mandatory and therefore placed higher in priority than cell phones and Wii, the costs would be spread around and price could go down. That along with some consolidation of administration costs. I can't believe the size of a building there is for administration of an HMO I'm in that covers only part of a state. Of course...where would those "extra" people get jobs if efficiencies are put into place. Hmmmm. Gets complicated.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote