View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #5
Becky

Re: Vitamin D boosts survival of breast cancer patients

You end up figuring out what is right for you. I take 4000iu daily but my level is 60. The range is 30-100 for normal so I need a hefty dose to stay in the good range. Someone else may need much less or even more.

This article is insightful because it mentions that tumors have receptors for some of the vitamin d breakdown components and that they tend to be present when tumors are small and thus, if you take enough D then, it curtails growth. But what does "small" mean? Microscopic where it would take years to detect? We just don't know enough yet. Also, it can be the chicken and the egg of which researchers are trying to figure out. Do you have low D levels because you have cancer or did you get cancer because you have low D levels? Since humans don't live outside anymore and when we are outside, we slather ourselves with sunscreen (which prevents our skin from manufacturing Vitamin D naturally), having low D levels seems that we are doing ourselves wrong by not taking it. It hasn't been (evolutionarily speaking) that we have lived this way and we haven't evolved enough yet.

So, get your readings and take vitamin D if needed and then get them done again so you know how to adjust the amount. I started with 2000 but it barely got me to 30. After all these years, I know 4000 iu a day is the right dose for me so everyone has to figure out what is the right dose for them.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote