View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 08:21 PM   #15
mamacze

Re: Help, cancer has spread from bones to my lungs

Hi Kristen - I love the strength in your panic - you are a women of action - you are strong, and you are going to mother and love that beautiful boy of yours for as long as you possibly can.
I would like to chime in support for a second opinion. Doctors are used to it and when your life is at stake then you go and get one. I don’t like the way your doc anticipates decline instead of giving you hope. Hope is not outside your realm of possibilities!
To answer your question:
"How quickly do lung mets kill you. From shortness of breath to death. Do you have any examples of women/men that ticked along for years?”
When I was diagnosed with stage 4, I was very short of breath. I was a fairly young and energetic 48 year old with 4 kids at home and struggled to go up the stairs. Navelbine and Herceptin worked for me.
I am sure there are others - and I am sure they will chime in.
The other thing that worked for me was entering a clinical trial with the tumor vaccine group in Seattle. You may want to consider a clinical trial.
My second opinion oncologist at Sloan Kettering is excited about the results she is seeing with Perjeta and Herceptin. Maybe that will be your magic bullet.
Finally, you may want to consider getting a genetic profile done of your tumor. Becky posted a sticky about this - if you want more info after reading that, I am happy to share via PM. I had a profile done and it was useful.
Stay clear headed and focused. You can do this. Your mom, I am sure, is with you right now giving you strength.
Love and Hugs times 10,
Kim (from CT)

2004 - Stage 4, mets to 4 lobes of lungs and liver, lumpectomy, er/pr -, her2 neu+++, Herceptin and Navelbine then Herceptin only.

2005 - Breast Ca vaccinations with the Tumor Vaccine Group in Seattle

2011 - Still Herceptin only and NED

2011, June - STOPPED Herceptin and kicked up my heels!

2012, February - 1 small tumor came back to haunt me in my lungs - back on Herceptin only, tumor stable.

2015, November - tumor on lungs removed (Segmentectomy), back on Herceptin only
Received U of W vaccine clinical "booster" Vaccine

2022 On Herceptin and NED continues - WOOT WOOT!
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote