View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #59
sweetsunflwr

Re: HER2 learning more is it a bad thing?

One part of me feels ok with what my oncologist discussed with me. Another part of me feels like I am just border line for treatment per my oncologist. He said due to the fact the tumor was 1.5mm no treatment is needed other than tamoxifen. I failed to mention that at the time of my mammogram it was for a routine 6 month check up for my left breast as it was full of cysts, and low and behold they found calcifications in the right breast that ended up being breast cancer. I am the youngest in my family to get breast cancer. I found it in it's very early stages which I am so thankful for.
I am just so undecided as to what to do? Maybe I should consider the second opinion in Kansas City. Problem being I would have to take off work to drive there and not get paid for it. That hurts the pocket book... I am already so sick of the tamoxifen treatment, I have had horrible leg pain and joint pain along with headaches, I still continue to have a menstral cycle that has not changed at all. Maybe it is a little lighter now that I have been on tamoxifen but other than that I continue to cycle every 28 days like normal. Which is strange as my onc said it would make me menopausal. I am going to look at the Kansas Univeristy Medical Center's website and maybe send them an email and see what they think? I mean what if I do go there and they say I should definately have Herceptin and a round of Chemo? Then who do I believe at that point? My onc told me he specializes in all cancers the KUMC specializes in just Breast Cancer. I am totally amazed at all the responses from this thread that i posted. He also said that I have a 1% chance of recurrance in the breast area due to my mastectomy. That reduces my risk considerably but it doesn't any where else in my body that is the part that scares me more than anything...
BRCA1 and BRCA2 - NEGATIVE
March 29, 2010- bilateral mastectomy with the left one being prophalactic--showing a 1.5-mm, invasive, component, grade 3
April 2010-Feb 2011- Reconstruction of both breasts, expanders to implants, with aerola tattooing and nipple reconstruction.
After Surgery pathology report-Pathology shows a 1.5-mm, invasive carcinoma in the setting of DCIS, grade 3
Maximum tumors the size of the DCIS being 7 mm, ER+, PR+ at 90 and 80% respectively. HER-2/neu is 3+
Taking Tamoxifen 20 mg daily for 5 years
www.byebyehooters.blogspot.com - my journey...

what lies before us are tiny matters of what lies within us, which makes us stronger
sweetsunflwr is offline   Reply With Quote