View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #18
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Re: Question for liver metsters

Docs and nurses are really really ridiculously busy. No one worries about you more than you. I promise.

I collect every report every written about me. I keep them in a NO MORE CANCER file. I compare my #s w/ea new report to the last.

It shows you, or should show you, what the NORMAL RANGE IS. Beside your # for each function there is just a # -- or a # w/an H (meaning high) -- or a # w/an L (meaning low).

My BUN is typically high. They tell me to drink more water. (I drink 10 8-oz glasses of water a day, to keep hydrated, to swallow all my supplements, to keep all my organs happy.) So they don't know why but my BUN is high.

All my other #s are basically consistent. When I see an inconsistency, even a very, very slight elevation (as with my liver enzymes, just as KsGal says AST/ALT, SGOT and SGPT) I asked my doc what is that all about? I wouldn't worry about it. Ok. 3 mnths later -- same scenario. What could be causing that?? It could be anything -- your cholesterol meds. It's very very slightly elevated. Don't worry about it. 3 mnths later -- same, same.

I've posted somewhere or everywhere about this. Because it was at that moment that my Inner Voice made me say, I want an abdominal sonogram. Guess we could substantiate that (for insurance company purposes). Sono led to CT which led to liver biopsy which led to disbelief, panic over the multiple tumors found throughout my liver.

My tumor markers were still normal. One onc told me that for me, I can never rely on my TMs. Got it. So I peruse my lab work and every detail of every report for inconsistencies. Anything against MY norm.

Docs are fallible. Even if they are brilliant. They have a lot on their plate. We have to assist. Participate in our own wellness! Supervise. It's OUR lives we're talking about. Be proactive. Involved. They never say, You're being a bother. They say to me, You're smart. That's just what you have to do. Good for you.

So, my Sisters, please take charge. It's your duty.

Much love and positive energy,
ANDI
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote