View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 08:10 PM   #12
Greg

Re: HER2 positive and 10 years out?

Hi Dianne,

Someone on this board told me once that many of the folks that come to this board never or seldom return after their treatment. I don't know how many of the fine people on this board have been here for 10 years. When my wife was first diagnosed we read many, many posts on the internet and did literally weeks of research. Mostly what we read were horror stories about how badly people fared during chemo, side affects, etc. Our Oncologist reminded us that most of the time it is the patients that are having problems that are posting on the internet, seeking some sort of information that will help them through the ordeal. He also said the people that don't have much trouble are less likely to show up on internet sites. This made sense but our surfing definitely caused us much apprehension. This particular board has and still serves as a great source of information and support. We really don't visit many other boards besides this one. Anyway, luckily for us my wife did very well during chemo and so far so good.

As for missing your last chemo, our Oncologist (well respected from Seattle Cancer Care Alliance/University of Washington) also feels that as long as she recieved any chemotherapy then the herceptin will do it's thing and that the amount and type of chemotherapy wasn't that vital. He did feel there is a synergy between taxol and herceptin so that is what my wife did, 12 weeks of low dose paclitaxol with herceptin and she will be on herceptin until April 2010. He thinks herceptin is the key. I hope (pray) that he is right.

It is difficult not to get too tied up in the numbers game. My wifes cancer is similar to yours although her tumor was 1.5 cm and she was stage 1, grade 3. She chose lumpectomy instead of mastectomy. Anyway, our Oncologist puts her chance of recurrance at 10 years at less than 10%, in other words more than 90% that she won't have a recurrance in the next 10 years. She now eats much healthier (mostly organic), exercises regularly and has just overall improved her lifestyle. I used to have to preach to her to use sunscreen, not anymore!

I don't know if this helps you with your apprehension or not, I hope so.

Take care,

Greg and Vickie
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote