View Single Post
Old 04-09-2015, 04:12 PM   #14
Yardlady

Re: Does 30 grams of fat per day reduce recurrence rates?

Hi All,
I am new to this site but really appreciate all of the great information that everyone contributes!
I had this conversation with my oncologist just a few weeks ago. He smiled when I asked him what I could do to be on the "good" side of the statistics that I am reading about regarding recurrence. His answer was,,"Eat healthy!" He said that all of the low-fat, low-carb diets that are making the rounds are not ready for prime time....healthy foods, lots of fruits and vegetables, low sugar, and watching those carbs and of course, exercising to the best of our abilities, is the best approach. His take on things is that our diet affects our immune system, which affects our ability to fight off cancer recurrence. He also mentioned trying to keep stress at a minimum, which is really hard for folks who work in many occupations or have stress from a variety of sources, because stress contributes to inflammation, which research is looking at as a contributor to cancers.
It makes sense to me. I have been trying to eat at least 3 servings of fruit, and 5 servings of veggies each day. I do occasionally have a treat and exercise at least 5 days a week.
However, I m not beating myself up if I miss a day of exercise or have a cupcake at my grandchild's birthday party
Best regards, Sandy
Yardlady is offline   Reply With Quote