View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 09:16 AM   #669
Colleen

Re: Please post your two cents on Herceptin "side effects" real or perceived!

I am on Herceptin and perjeta every three weeks for well over a year now and have not had a problem with weight gain. I do get the drippy nose, I call it "surfer nose", which causes scabbing on the internal edges of my nostrils from them being constantly moist. I would say that is the most annoying side effect. I was diagnosed stage IV at original dx in November 2013 so I started with six cycles of taxotere, Herceptin and perjeta. That was a nasty six cycles that resulted in a syncope with six stitches to chin and four cracked/chipped teeth. My onc wanted to add two more cycles but my body just couldn't handle anymore taxotere. Since dropping the taxotere it has been much easier, I am able to maintain a lot of my physical activities and have better energy. I did lose close to 30 lbs during the first year but am now able to maintain my weight. At times I do feel foggy and tired and I am not sure it is related to the drugs as I am experiencing elevated liver enzyme levels and bilirubin levels. My gastro dr is working with me to thoroughly investigate the cause of these levels. My onc has blown off these elevated counts as being possibly Gilbert's Syndrome. The one thing I have truly learned in the past year is that you have to be your own best advocate. The doctors we deal with as cancer patients are very specialized, they deal with only what they are trained for! Think outside the box.
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote