View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
GracePang

Unhappy Brain Mets came back -- Help Needed

I saw people posted here saying that the Tykerb/Herceptin combo was approved for Stage IV BC sisters. Can anyone give me the approval link/papers/report so that I can fight/convince my oncologist? I am panick now and any information would help.

I feel so devastated today hearing the news that 3 tumors go bigger after my whole brain radiation in July. After wbr, my onc didn't change my drugs (Taxotere/Herceptin) and I had even a 1-month break from Taxotere due to a illness with a flu. In July, I asked my onc to change drugs to Xeloda/Tykerb/Herceptin after WBR, but he refused saying that Taxotere kept my other parts of body (lungs/livers) stable and he would not change until it stopped working. At end of November, my lungs mets slightly progressed; he then agreed to change me to Xeloda in combination with Herceptin (I started 2nd round or Xeloda today -- two weeks off, one week on). Now, just got the news today that the brain mets are back. While my rad onc said he could treated them with Gamma knife (don't know when), I am thinking to add Tykerb to the Xeloda/Herceptin combo. I phoned my onc today and he said (throgh a nurse) that he would not change or add anything now until he see me next time (Jan. 3) and he refuses to add Tykerb. If I insist, he would drop Herceptin and do the Xeloda/Tykerb combo. I don't want to give up Herceptin, and read so many positive stories on this board about Tykerb/Herceptin combo. However, he said he doesn't have data to support this T/H combo, even for Stage IV. Please help me fight with my onc for this combo. Any information/advice are appreciated.

Love,
Grace
GracePang is offline   Reply With Quote