Thread: love from kenya
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 10:06 AM   #61
naturaleigh

Chemo and Herceptin

Hey Christie,

You will be much in my thoughts and prayer on Monday, Do they give you fluids first before the Adriamycin? Try your best to eat something before your treatment or while they are giving you the fluids? The less greasy the better. Having something on your stomach helps with the nausea. Also, try getting a good book to read or a game to play during your treatments. I too would watch as they administered the Adriamycin and would get qweezy feelings. I then decided to started reading or playing a game as the nurse adminstered the drug and it seemed to help. I would take my mind somewhere else and not look at what she was doing.

My eyebrows and lashes fell out after my second chemo. I am not a make-up person, so I did nothing. To me I looked funny, that was because it was not what I am used to seeing, but other people hardly noticed.

Have they talked about a port for you? Hercpetin is done intravenously and most people do Herceptin for 1 year. I went in weekly and it took around 1 hour. They administered the fluids first which took the most time. If you are like most people, which I bet you are, you will be extremely nervous the first time because of the not knowing what to expect. While on Herception, you will have an appetite, and no more nausea!! I was also worried about the heart issues so each time before my treatment my dog and I would walk 3-5 miles. Don't try that at first, you need to get your stength back from the chemo first!! You will be amazed at how quickly you will bounce back!!

You have been to Rwanda? That is another place I have always wanted to visit and to witness the Gorillas!! I absolutely love the beautiful gifts God has given us in nature!! Being a resident in Kenya, do you still have to have a passport to visit the other countries?

Take care of yourself and let us hear how Monday went!!

er, pr-, Her2+++
Stage 2b, grade 3
negative nodes
4 rounds AC
3 months of weekly taxol
1 yr of Herceptin
Finish Herceptin May 2007
35 rounds of Radiation
Reconstruction completed Dec 2007
Implant replaced due to infection Mar 2008
4 Years NED!!!
naturaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote