View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
robind

Re: Aromatase Inhibitors/Weakly ER +

Hi Diannes;
My oncologist had said the same is true in my case in having a small benefit. Tamoxifen has been around for over 20 years and there is data out there. I am taking Femera, yes it can diminish bone strength. Because I have osteopenia, my oncologist recommended I take Zometa 2x a year for 3 years as I had been taking Boniva prior (and Fosamax prior to that) and it didn't seem to be doing very much. I know I've read good results with Zometa. That said...my overall energy and health are fine. I do have some joint stiffness but it is very manageable. If I sit for long periods of time I notice I'm a little stiff when I get up. In the morning when I go to walk down the stairs, my knees ache along with my feet for a very brief time. I rarely notice anything during the day. It was suggested to me to take cosamin ds which is for the joints and I've been taking it and think without it I would not feel as good.
My decision to take an AI was also not an easy one knowing that I would not benefit very much. But, I looked at it that if I were to recur, would I regret that small benefit and could it have made a difference.
None of these decisions are easy ones and we all wish we had a crystal ball.
I also have 2 Herceptin's to go. Such mixed emotions about that.
Whatever decision you make, will be the right decision for you. Do not base your decision on the possible effects an AI may have. Not everybody does experience. I didn't notice any joint/muscle discomfort until the 5th month and I cannot stress it enough that it is really very manageable.
Good luck, I wish I were more helpful.
Best to you, Robind
robind is offline   Reply With Quote