View Single Post
Old 08-13-2006, 06:57 AM   #7
Jean

good post

Val,
Interesting post - My one onc. in NY at Cornell did not even ask me about port just told me as he made appt. for the surgery. When I went to Hackensack Cancer Ctr (this is where I ended up having my chemo) they did not even consider port first. They approached the situation with "we will try without port first attitude" I loved it since I did not want a port (much like you) heard some varied stories and I was very concerned. I have very small veins and was not very postive that it would work - but I was hopeful...I have been doing just great and they are wonderful at the cancer center. They do prepare me for treatment with warm compressses for 15 min. prior to starting treatment. I must say I never even have a mark on me after treatment. The nurses are the best. They always get the needle in on the first attempt. So far so good and I am very happy they at least attempted treatment this way. I will have my 5th chemo on 8/21...then, only one more to go - then a yr. of herceptin. I would guess the type of chemo maybe and treatment plan would effect this decsion... I am having TCH....

Jean

Last edited by Jean; 08-13-2006 at 07:01 AM..
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote