View Single Post
Old 08-12-2006, 05:38 AM   #3
astrid

I went back to school as an adult to get my bachelors in engineering. My step son was 17 and my son was 13 when I went back to school. I worked full time during the day, so I attended school at night. It was the second day of class when a campus policeman came into the school room looking for me. My first thought was oh heck where did I park the car?. He told me my son was in an accident and was taken to the hospital. He did not know which son and what had happened. I knew they had been at the school for wrestling. My older son was in practice while my younger son was in a match. My mind led me to believe it was the older son because he drives. That was a VERY scary 15 minutes ride to the hospital. My husband was out of town on business so I had no support. When I got to the hospital, I asked for my older son and nearly lost it when they said they did not have a Charlie Wilson but a David Wilson. He had only dislocated his shoulder. But, I still remember the panic and anxiety I felt when the policeman showed up without all the details. My son is 21 now. On a lighter note: while David was in the cast we went to see a Billy Joel Concert and Billy’s Sax player, Mark Rivera signed his cast. He actually came out during intermission to sign it.