View Single Post
Old 08-09-2006, 05:38 AM   #29
Becky

Chelee

How old are you? Were you menstrating regularly before chemo? I am asking because I was 45 when diagnosed and was still menstrating regularly. Chemo shut me down (I had 2 cycles then stopped). When it came time for a hormonal, my onc at the time wanted to put me on Tamoxifen which I did not want to take because I am only 50% ER but PR negative (and being Her2 positive, this was not a good combo for me - plus, the trial with Herceptin did not come out yet so...I did not have Herceptin yet and without it, Tamox was not a good choice as it might be right now.)

I got the bloodwork done too and it showed I was postmenopausal too. But that changed. I was on Arimidex not quite 2 months and I got my period back. This can happen and an aromatase inhibitor can help that happen if you are "on the edge". Femara has been used off label to assist with fertility treatments. So, make sure your estradiol levels are checked all the time because this situation can reverse itself and you can menstrate again (and will have no ER/PR protection). You might want to consider Tamoxifen while on Herceptin and start testing estradiol while you are nearing the end of Herceptin treatment and switch to an AI then (if you test right and still haven't gotten your period in the meantime).

I ended up getting my ovaries removed to use Arimidex. For me, it was the only sure way to become postmenopausal.

Hugs to you

Becky