Thread: Just for fun...
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2006, 03:41 PM   #99
KathyA

I am really a new member and happy to be on board.

I have been a teacher for 38 years, second grade through ninth. 22 years in catholic school the rest in inner city public school. The first 32 years were exceptional. The last 20 years of my career I taught computers. Working in an inner city school was good until the last 4 or 5 years. It became difficult to say the least. When my onc called asking me to come in to see him, telling me that I had a hole in my chest, I left that afternoon to see him and never returned to work. (May 5, 2005) With mets to bone, liver and lungs, I took it as a sign that it was time to retire, one of my best decisions. May 5th was 18 months after I finished treatment the first time.

My husband and I just celebrated our 25th anniversary. We have a daughter 23 who is still finding herself. Charles is still teaching in the city of Mount Vernon which is in New York. He's been there for 28 years and still loves it. He also taught 10 years in catholic school. He is an avid tennis player. Plays every day of the week and at this moment is at a tournament in Cape Cod. He is ranked 8th in the men’s 55 USTA mid-Atlantic division.

I kayak, garden, stitch work, build - as to build a side porch, hide a bed, decorative fence. I like building things the best but don’t do that now or kayak either. I’m not strong enough and I’m afraid of cutting myself. I have done that pretty regularly in the past, cut myself that is.

I often have Saturday or/and Sunday breakfast with friends. This is most important to me.

I love the ocean and walking on the beach. We have a newly inherited home there and I have been able to get there twice this summer and hope to make it again soon.

Basically I’ve had chemo every week for the past 14 months.

Thanks everyone for caring and sharing your prayers, best wishes and info.

Last edited by KathyA; 08-05-2006 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: spelling error
KathyA is offline   Reply With Quote