View Single Post
Old 07-28-2006, 07:42 PM   #3
Carol.hope

Yes, I was taken off Herceptin. My first MUGA (in Feb.) was after 12 weekly doses and was 56% - ok to keep going. The second MUGA (in May), after 3 months of every-3-week Herceptin, was 35%, and I was told to stop Herceptin, stay active and have another MUGA in a month.

I kept exercising as much as possible, took CoQ10, Hawthorn, etc (under guidance of a Naturopath who has worked with a cancer clinic). Third MUGA (in June) was 66%. Oncologist and Cardiologist both say it's unusual to go down so far and up so quickly. Neither seemed interested in what I did to help things. Oncologist says I should not go back on Herceptin, "since we know how your heart responds to it."

I have a MUGA in Sept. to make sure it stayed up. I feel so much better now (almost 6 months after finishing Taxol), that I'm sure it's ok. The anxiety of all this definitely takes a toll. I am working on getting my positive attitude back, so I can heal better!

I'm counting on that study in which patients did well getting Herceptin for 9 weeks. It's just a guess how long is the best treatment.
I think we are the new data providers, those of us getting Herceptin for adjuvant therapy. More options are coming, so I think the future is optimistic for us.

Tell us your story, ok? Good luck! - Carol

dx June '05 at age 55
Stage 1, 1.5cm
ER+++, PR--, HER2+++
Lumpectomy, A/C, T/H
Herceptin stopped due to low LVEF (35%)
2010: NED, but continuing major chemo brain injury
www.BeyondChemoBrain.com
Carol.hope is offline   Reply With Quote