View Single Post
Old 07-26-2006, 08:43 AM   #6
RobinP

Thanks for doing the stats on age of dx for the her2 board AA. I think this is very interesting data in our relatively small group as it does seem to indicate that her2 positive bc occurs frequently in young women, something that is also true in larger studies done thus far for her2+ bc. I think the younger population is subject to her2+ bc for a particular reason. I know that I have read that a hyper estrogen state stimulates the her2 state and causes the hormonal receptors to migrate outside the nucleus, and thus shut off. High levels of estrogens in young women occur during such events as pregnancy and miscarriage, not to mention possible birth control use, which is often four times more potent than a normal menstrual cycle. As for older women getting her2+ bc, I believe they may have taken HRT, been exposed to estrogen pollutants, been overweight which increases endogenous estrogens even after menopause and any other number of events, metabolic or environmental that ultimately increase endogenous estrogen.

Becky, thanks for sharing your experiences. I agree that pathology reports should to required to sent directly to patients as too much can be lost in the shuffle in the fragmented medical health care system where one patient often has several medical doctors for one condition. You really need to be your own medical advocate and case manager in such a complex system. I also think that one pathology analysis is just not enough because errors happen in pathology too and second opinions may prevent that. Correct pathology reports are especially needed when your entire treatment plan and future is relying on it. Again, aggressively managing your own health care is a must. Congratulations on your excellent example of self adovacy and success Becky. Keep at it!