View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 11:05 PM   #9
madubois63

Dace - I have been dealing with Inflammatory BC for 6 1/2 years and am still going strong! I was 36 at diagnosis and my kids were 8 and 10. I did the AC and then Taxol, modified radical mastectomy, Tamoxifen (4 1/2 years) and then 32 radiation treatments. I had 4 1/2 years of remission. A year and a half ago, I had a relapse and this time my onc hit it from all angles. I did weekly immunotherapy (Herceptin), chemo (Carboplaten and Taxotere) three weeks on and one week off and daily anti-hormonal (Femara). I had a great response in 3 months and achieved remission after 3 more months. The IBC has again been in remission for a year and 3 months. I have since gotten leukemia, but that is another story. You say the Herceptin is not working - Tykerb would be my suggestion. You said you did not qualify for the trials, but thanks to Joe, Christine and all the other hard workers on this site, Tykerb is available for compassionate use. If your onc is willing to work for you, you should not have a problem getting it. Sounds like you may need a new onc??? P. S. If you haven't already done so, file for social security disability now. You should not have a problem getting benefits for you and your children. Inflammatory BC is one of those diseases listed that get immediate approval, and I have heard of some people getting expedited benefits (it usually takes six months). This way you can concentrate on your health and not worry about sick time and a pay check. Your new job should be your health. You can start the application process on line. If you have specific questions that I might be able to help with, please e-mail me anytime. madubois63@aol.com Maryann
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote