View Single Post
Old 07-19-2006, 07:53 PM   #10
Chelee

Kimberly, It must be time for a ECHO when ever WE *mention* it to our onc doc. lol Until then...they must not be necessary. I get the SAME thing you do....I always have to bring it up...and then its a "Oh...your right...it is that time." Then, & only then do I get an appt set for one.

I had heard from others down in my infusion room that the normal protocol for a ECHO if your on herceptin is....every 3 months. But I am beginning to wonder since it seems many other womens oncologist are pretty lack about when they get theirs. Seems to be any where from 3 months to a year from what I am reading here. (Must not be a protocol on this one...or no one follows it?)

Sherry, Thats terrible that you just now had your first one after seven months. Have you been on herceptin all this time? They usually always have a baseline one BEFORE you start your herceptin...if nothing else to cover their behind and make sure your heart is up to it which makes sense. Then of course follow up ECHO'S to make sure no damage is being done as I am sure you know.

I am glad you got your onc doc to finally do one. Its a shame that any one of us has to be so proactive to get anything done. I am so tired as is...then having to stay on top of everything just drains me. I know these doctors are busy and on over load in most cases...but they CHOOSE the job. They are suppose to be working for us...and they are suppose to care.

Whats their oath say. "First do no harm". If they don't have our tests ordered, scans and such done on time, or at all...they are not doing their job.

I am GLAD you TOOK control Sherry...because in todays health care system...it seems you HAVE to. I am happy all was well for you. Now when it gets to be close to 3 months...no longer then 6...make sure you get another one especially if your on herceptin.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote