View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 09:39 PM   #6
marymary

That Price Tag Seems So Steep

It's just an unbelievable amount of money to just get started. Last year I paid $600.00 for a consult with my oncologist at UCSF and thought that was a lot of money. Of course the health insurers have contract rates, and only pay a fraction of that. It's sad that the neediest patients get stuck with the highest price tag. I'm always shocked to see how much my insurance carrier slashes off the bill.

I do think about those who do not have any resources and how they manage this disease. I am hoping to get into the Seattle vaccine trial, and the travel expenses are not covered, so trials, too, can be costly. It seems a shame that those with greater financial resources may be receiving better care. I feel lucky to live close to UCSF. I overheard a patient saying she drives 300 miles for infusions.

It seems like the Lance Armstrong Foundation or the Komen Foundation might be a resource for this young patient. I wonder if they have approached any of the big cancer foundations? I suppose there are many needy BC patients out there, but probably not 16 year olds!

OK, tired and rambling. Had a PET today and it took the stuffing right out of me. No caffeine and what a headache. I must be a caffeine junkie.

Mary
marymary is offline   Reply With Quote