View Single Post
Old 07-06-2006, 10:55 PM   #20
Chelee

Alaska Angel, This IS a very interesting thread to me. Especially since its time I start on Tamox or femera? (sp) One thing your brought up that I think is really important...is if our medical providers are taking the time to talk to use about it? Mine hasn't yet...but I will be bringing it up to her soon. I want to discuss this issue a bit with her before I just take whats handed to me.

I know several months back when I was still doing chemo, my onc mentioned real quick to me that once I was done with chemo I would be starting Femera. I just said "OK". I didn't even know what it was for at that time?

But NOW I am done with chemo...so this is a topic I am so interested in. My onc wants to put me on the femera as I mentioned...but I had went to a 2nd opinion at a larger cancer center a couple weeks ago...to discuss what has been done and what they think I should do at this point?

They have been there over 30 years...much longer then where I am at now. That place is all about cancer. What makes it hard is my current oco doctor says femera for me...and the OTHER cancer center with the 30 years plus says the one thing they WOULD change in my treatment plan is they REALLY feel I was pre-meno until I was PUT into chemo pause. (Which I agree.) So their choice would be Tamoxifen for me.

She said the Femera is really for post-menopausal women. So NOW I am confused and don't know WHICH one I should take? Thats why I LOVE this thread and anything on this topic. As some know I am stage IIIA, Er & Pr positive, her2/neu 3+++...positive nodes. So I WANT the best drug I can get to stop any recurrances. This is a very important issue I must decide on soon.

I found it also interesting that the way you understand it is that tamoxifen works less then 50% of the time in bc....not just her2. I didn't know that either...thanks for the info. That makes it even MORE important to read up on all of this.

Astrid, I also found your post VERY interesting also! Thanks for taking the time to go over what was said at that lecture and explaining it so well to us. Especially since my 2nd opinion onc at the other cancer center said I should be taking Tamoxifen. Decisions, decisions!

As Saleboat said, such a confusing subject. I agree!

Either way...great thread!

chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.