View Single Post
Old 07-06-2006, 04:08 AM   #17
R.B.

Developing infants are hungry for DHA.

It is reported that they will even deplete their mothers brain. (a suggested factor for post natal depression)

There is suggestion that BC risk is as a minimum significantly reduced by balancing the omega threes and sixes and adequeate intake manifacture of the long chain omega threes. ( A french trial showed that women in with highest third DHA etc in sample had 69% less chance of excised tumour being cancerous in nature).

So if baby has drained your DHA your levels could be low.

Most diets are high in omega sixes and low in omega threes. Rations of omega three to six are 1-20 to 1-50 instead of 1:1 - range figures being quoted for US

Add to this high consumption of trans fats. (which are reported to have a number of possible impacts including blocking the fat elongation pathways eg making DAH and EPA), less efficent in brain etc (ingoring the unknown impact of fats unknown to body)

You might like to search this site from omega three and six - click on search above and enter term.

A book Smart Fats by M Schmidt (or updated version) deal with the need for fats in pregnancy both by mother and child, trans fats etc. (VERY highly recommeded for a few dollars second hand in the interests of both offspring and mothers).

I am just going through this book for a second time, underlining checking references and relating to my own reading etc and am truly saddened that where trials highlight potential serious effects money is not put into reaserch to get an definative answer. We are the experimental fats generations. Even worse trials suggest effects may be in some degree cumalative between generations.

I have not see an direct reserch on the topic of BC fats and pregnancy.

It would be easy enough to do - take tissue fat biopsies from breast stomach and buttock from BC subjects and non BC subjects, analyse and follow at intervals on a long term basis.

There is nothing to be lost by balancing the omega threes and sixes, ensuring adequate DHA and EPA, and cutting out trans fats and everything to gain.

There are one or two side effects blood thinning etc, and so medical advice should be sort before significant dietary change.

You might like to look at the post on the Greek diet.

The more I read the more I am convinced balancing the omega threes sixes getting adequate EPA DHA is the largest factor underlying this ever growing level of western disease (together with general diet which is interlinked).

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote