View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 01:51 AM   #10
Lani

info (sorry without links)

had found a couple of articles on the prevention and possible etiology of osteonecrosis of the jaw which occurs w Zometa. Studies have found that Bisphosphonates seem to have a protective effect against recurrence/growth of breast cancer (in general again, not specifically for her2 from what I remember) as well as an antiosteoclastic (discourages cells responsible for the breakdown of bone) effect, some of you may be on bisphonates for several reasons.

I am lousy with links but the first is an article in Medical Oncology 2006 Volume 23 (1), pp. 51-6 On Jaw complications associated with bisphosphonate use in patients with plasma cell dyscrasias by a group of authors from the Cleveland Clinic.

Annals of Oncology had a letter to the editor published March 8, 2006 discussing “Could the long-term persistence of law serum calcium levels and high serum parathyroid hormone levels duriing bisphosphonate treatment prediscpose metastatic breast cancer patients to undergo osteonecrosis of the jaw?” Which contains some suggestions for prevention.

I haven’t researched the topic for several month. Should I come up with more I will post.

Knowledge is ammunition.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote