View Single Post
Old 07-02-2006, 02:18 AM   #1
Chelee

Unhappy AC, Cytoxan AFTER I had TCH?

I am so confused. I had expressed to my oncologist that I did not understand why I seem to be the only one that had such an aggressive bc and was *not* treated with AC FIRST...then followed by Taxotere, Carb, Herceptin. I told her I can't find anyone that wasn't treated with AC first with my Stage IIIA, Er & PR positive bc...also positive nodes.

This oncologist is *different* from the one that ORDERED this chemo regimen for me. (I knew nothing when I first got put on chemo.) I was just told to take this treatment...period. No choices...not explained...nothing. I just wanted to live so trusted the first oncologist.

Since I have expressed to this second oncologist I switched to that I feel I should of been put on AC first....she did agree and said that is what she would of done with me. (But as we all know...I can't go backwards...whats done is done.) I am trying to move forward and pray the Taxo, Carb, & herceptin is working? (Actually I should be starting Rads soon.)

I am done with my chemo other then weekly herceptin. My onc suggested I get a 2nd opinion and I did follow up on that last week. What I don't understand is I got HER medical notes that she SENT to this other cancer center I was going to and it says "I have explained to the patient that BCIRG data suggested that AC, Cytoxan treatment followed by Taxol & Herceptin were about the same as Taxotere, Herceptin & Carbpotin therapy. She goes on to say if she wishes I can always put her on AC & Cytoxan chemotherapy at the end of Taxo and Carb. Then she follows up with, Herceptin WILL continue for a year. I wasn't telling her I wanted more chemo...I was just asking why I did not recieve AC first like everyone else? (Just a question since it was a different onc that ordered my chemo and not her.)

But what she suggested in these notes does not sound right from everything I have read over the last six months? How can I go on AC, Cytoxan, and continue on herceptin? You can't do both at the same time?

Plus...lets say I went off the herceptin to do the AC....isn't that more risky NOW to to AC after 6 months of herceptin? I have never heard of anyone doing AC *after* Taxotere, Carb and herceptin. (But there is so much I don't know?)

Am I missing something here? I don't know why she is suggesting I do this since she is trying to tell me what I was on was just about the same...even though I don't feel thats true since I can't find anyone that has been on TCH FIRST like I have. If it was just about as good...why is she telling the other center that she can start me on the AC regimen?

I thought I was going to this other cancer center for a Rads consult...not for this? I am so lost...

Would there be any benefit at this point to go on AC & Cytoxan...when I am doing herceptin? I don't want heart damage. I thought you can't do these two together? Unless she didn't mean to put it on paper like that...and she meant I would go off herceptin while doing the AC & Cytoxan? Anyone have any ideas or opinions on this. I am just trying to get my best chances like anyone else is.

I don't know what to think...or do at this point.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote