View Single Post
Old 06-22-2006, 03:18 PM   #3
marymary

Benadryl vs. Decadron

I'm certainly not a Pharmacist but I've taken both Benadryl & Decadron in my life. Decadron is a steroid. The root of all steroids is testosterone. Testosterone causes hunger, Decadron is absolutely an appetite stimulant. Like many women, I was unhappy about the weight gain associated with Decadron. Decadron gives energy. You may run around for a couple of days performing all sorts of previously unthinkable tasks. Decadron can cause insomnia. I needed lots of Atavan to get any sleep at all while on Decadron. Suddendly, the Decadron wears off, leaves your system and bam, you can't get up off the couch. I would become teary eyed and let-down. It really was a wild ride. I knew just how a junkie must feel.

I think Benadryl is an antihistimine. It causes some sleepiness. If you can get by with Benadryl, and I most certainly could not, then by all means go for it. I should add that I was so very allergic to Taxotere that I needed i.v. Decadron with each and every infusion, sorry I don't know what the dose was, so perhaps your symptoms would not be so remarkable.

Mary
marymary is offline   Reply With Quote