View Single Post
Old 06-18-2006, 11:10 AM   #3
heblaj01

Update on vitamin C trial

In the first post of this thread, I mentioned a trial of intravenous vitamin C for cancer patients.
There is further info available in print form for the general public (I could not find it on the web) emanating from the Lady Davis Institute for Medical research in Montreal, Canada.
The study is under the direction of Dr John Hoffer who I believe is the son of Dr Abram Hoffer (still alive) who used to be a research collaborator of Nobel prize winner Dr Linus Pauling.
Dr John Hoffer is not an onc; he is a professor of medicine at McGill University & a physician in internal medicine & endocronology.
The study (a phase I trial) will last several years on advanced cancer patients who have exhausted all approved treatments but are mobile & functional.
The dosage will be 40 to 60 mg of vitamin C over 90 minute IV's, three times a week.
Toxicity is a prime end point of the study but signs of efficacy will be monitored & for those responding the treatment will go on indefinitely.
A second phase of the study will later be undertaken.
While he noted the skepticism of many in the medical community about the efficacy of vitamin C for advanced cancer (mostly based on experience with oral intake as opposed to I.V.) he feels hopefull that it will help some patients.

I hope that some will respond in spite of the advanced status of the disease so that possible beneficial effects for a larger population of patients at an earlier stage are not deprived of an option for lack of research resulting from a failure of the current study
heblaj01 is offline   Reply With Quote