View Single Post
Old 06-18-2006, 01:21 AM   #10
mekasan

very similar stats...

Hi
I was also dx at 29, stage 1 grade 3, er-pr-/ her2+++ in left breast. I had 4 cm of ductual dispersed throughout the mammory with two small IDC tumors hiding deep inside. I say hiding b/c they were undetected on any test (MRI, Mammo, ultrasound). My initial dx was stage 0, just ductal.

I went in for a left total mastectomy with immediate recon thinking I was stage 0 and that would be enough treatment. When the path report came back, I was stage 1, b/c they located the two small tumors. I now required chemo. After I finished chemo, i had the right breast removed.

During chemo a small benign tumor had grown in the right. I could not stand not having two breasts to compare texture when feeling that lump. I caught the first cancer b/c I had a built in measuring stick (the healthy breast). It also concerned me that tumors could sneak by undetected. I had four Mammos, three ultrasounds, two MRI with contrast and a mammo-guided core biospy in three months. It's not like they weren't looking.

Based upon those facts above, my personal feelings, and many more "pro vs con" lists (plus the fact that I have a kick ass plastic surgeon who made my recon breast look even better than my real one)... i decided to get rid of the right one. I am so pleased with my decision. All my docs were all for it. My second recon looks exactly like to first.

No matter what, it is always a personal choice. What is right for one person may not be for another. What you feel is right may not be understood by others. (i.e. my parents did a double take when I told them I was planning to remove the other). Do what you feel is best. Once the cancer is removed, you have time to make your choice.

Good luck.
4 cm DCIS
0 nodes
ER-/PR-
Her2+ (5.33 FISH)
AC (4 cycles)
Bi-lat mastectomy w/ lat flap recon + cohesive gel implants
1 year (every 3 weeks) Herceptin

Last edited by mekasan; 06-18-2006 at 01:24 AM..
mekasan is offline   Reply With Quote