View Single Post
Old 06-06-2006, 09:38 PM   #15
mekasan

great idea

Hi Michele,

I think you have a great idea for a moving speech. You are the best! Since you asked for feedback, here are my thoughts...

First, when I read your question, "If our "mutated" cells would not kill us, would we want to take the "cure" and take away all that we have learned about life?" I immediately felt the irony of our situation. In other words, if our mutated cell could not kill us, we would not have learned all that we have about life! Your question truly captures the tragedy that preceeds so many of life's greatest lesson. Experiencing and understanding this tradegy is what we share.

Second, I just want to point out (and I am sure you know this), that no matter what you say and what you intend to express, there will always be some who are easily offended. We can't please everyone. When presenting in front of large group and when the topic is so emotionally loaded, there is bound to be someone who says "did she just call us mutants?!" In time they, too, will understand your message.

I guess I just want to say that your metaphor is wonderful, creative, and empowering. If you decided to give this speech and notice some negativity, don't let it question your message or your delivery of the message. Many will need to and should hear your thoughts.

Keep up the good work.

Talk to you soon
Shannon
4 cm DCIS
0 nodes
ER-/PR-
Her2+ (5.33 FISH)
AC (4 cycles)
Bi-lat mastectomy w/ lat flap recon + cohesive gel implants
1 year (every 3 weeks) Herceptin
mekasan is offline   Reply With Quote