View Single Post
Old 06-05-2006, 10:02 PM   #8
Patricia

Hi Michelle,

I like the idea of you speaking about the concept of survivors being different in every aspect of their lives. I have had a LOT of conversations with my husband, mother and friends about this change that comes about with cancer. Those that I have talked to that are also survivors, totally get it. Those that aren't usually don't totally get it and to be really honest, there have been those that have felt offended. They have told me that they feel that somehow I am erecting a barrier that they cannot cross because they cannot possibly understand the experience. I have talked a lot about it with my therapist, who is also a survivor. We talk about living this almost parallel experience to those that have never been diagnosed and the loss of innocence and security in 'life'. I have very mixed feelings about it myself. I love being 'awake' in life and feeling everyday that I am grateful to be alive, regardless of the weather, work, etc. I hate the burden of fear and worry that comes along with it and I just wish that *every* person in the world could be 'awake' too, but without having had the experience of cancer that we have all had.

Good luck with your speech!! I do hope you stick to your theme. I would love to see more survivors talking about this side effect so that it is more commonly understood by those around us; our lovers, families, friends and caretakers.

Warm Regards,
Patricia
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote