View Single Post
Old 05-31-2006, 05:39 PM   #87
madubois63

Thank you everyone for thinking of me. I needed today to absorb everything from yesterday. Good news and bad (mostly bad) . The pathology report came back and basically I have 3 abnormalities. 3 or more has poor prognosis...sucks for me! I have another bone marrow biopsy on Friday. The new doc wants it from his own labs. I will more than likely be admitted on Monday. They just called and asked if I wanted to come in on Friday but I said I wanted the weekend with my kids. I'll get a Hickman catheter placed in my neck. I have a port already, but it is a single. They need more lines....and they will take fluid from my lungs for pathology. I've had the fluid left over after the Pleurodesis. It may be there because of BC (active) or it may be there because of Taxotere or Herceptin. Hopefully the later...If the BC is still active, I will not be a candidate for transplant. No one is being tested for a match from my family. They say IF I am eligible, the registry is the best bet. They match white cells and not blood type. My kids are half of me and my sister is a quarter of me (different fathers). I would need a double core blood and not many centers do that. That may be last resort but that all depends on BC and leukemia remission. The registry will start the search AFTER they get me in remission (only if there is no BC) and it takes 24 hours to get a list of possible donors. Then it could take 3 - 5 months to get the actual donor. They call, ask if they still are interested, healthy, blah, blah, blah...The actual donor is only donating blood. They filter out the stuff I need and put the rest back in the donor. If any friends or family are interested, it cost $45 to become a donor (it's free if your a minority), and it's just a simple blood test at first. http://www.marrow.org/ It's an international registry, so the marrow could be coming from anywhere. So I start chemo to hold off the leukemia no matter what. It's a week on continuous drip. Day 14, they do another bone marrow biopsy. They decide if I need another treatment. If I need more chemo, my stay gets extended to 5 or six weeks. If not, my whites have to come up to a certain number and they let me come home for a month. Then I do it all over again to keep me in remission until a transplant. If I don't qualify for the transplant then I can do chemo until I can't take it anymore or decide to stop. The chemo MAY work on the BC if it is active (let's pray). The doctor doesn't know me or what I can do. We are still working on a relationship. He is nice enough. I asked a lot of educated questions and at one point he told me to let him be the doctor - lol. He was a bit doom and gloom and it was upsetting, but like I've said before, I've done it before and will do it again. I've already outlived the IBC and I'll do the same here. I'm one for the books. Once again, I thank you all so very much for the overwhelming response. They love and support has just been amazing. I will have Internet access, so I will try to post as much as possible.
..·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
-:¦:-
((¸¸.·´ ¸.·´
-:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:-
((¸¸.Maryann -:¦:-´´

Last edited by madubois63; 05-31-2006 at 05:45 PM..
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote