Thread: Advice needed
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2006, 03:55 PM   #4
R.B.

I hope you are getting and feeling better after your op.

On my hobby horse of fats you may want to talk to your advisors about omega three and recovery from heart surgery. I have read some suggestions it helps. If you search on NCBI you will find some info.

Re your daughter

I have also seen suggestions that omega three / six / the eicosanoid pathway play a part in cancers in that general area.

Heres a trial I found just now. The prostaglandin E2 is also implicated in BC. It is a product of the eicosanoid pathway which starts with omega six. Your daughter may like to check out the posts on omega three and six / diet on this site.

Improvement in the omega three six balance should improve general health if nothing else.

Significant dietary changes should be discussed with advisors.

I hope you heal up well.

You are being very brave about this with all you are facing.

RB

1: Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2005 Dec;14(12):2840-7. Related Articles, Links
Click here to read
Inflammation and endometrial cancer: a hypothesis.

Modugno F, Ness RB, Chen C, Weiss NS.

Department of Epidemiology, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, 516A Parran Hall, 130 DeSoto Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA. modugno+@pitt.edu

Endometrial cancer is the most common gynecologic malignancy in the United States. Substantial epidemiologic data implicate an imbalance of estrogens and progestogens in the etiology of this disease. We propose that inflammation also plays a role in endometrial cancer development. Emerging laboratory data suggest that elevated levels of prostaglandin E(2) may underlie the transformation of normal endometrium to neoplastic tissue and that in vitro nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs may inhibit endometrial cancer cell growth. In this review, we suggest that the risk factors for endometrial cancer--unopposed estrogens, anovulation, polycystic ovary syndrome, excessive menstruation, early menarche, and late menopause--may be viewed as factors increasing the exposure of the endometrium to inflammation, whereas pregnancy and smoking, two likely protective factors, have the opposite effect. Chronic inflammation can induce rapid cell division, increasing the possibility for replication error, ineffective DNA repair, and subsequent mutations. A proinflammatory milieu can also directly increase estrogen production. Hence, inflammation may work in conjunction with or in addition to estrogen exposure in the development of endometrial cancer.

Publication Types:

* Review

PMID: 16364998 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Last edited by R.B.; 05-30-2006 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: Clarification
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote