View Single Post
Old 05-28-2006, 09:32 PM   #70
madubois63

For those that are interested in what happens with a stem cell transplant (aka bone marrow or core cell transplant): As far as I know, I will be having a bone marrow transplant. whether the marrow is my own (taken out, cleaned and put back) a donor (related or not) or core blood (from a babies umbilical cord) has yet to be decided. I am waiting for the full pathology report (genetic testing). The transplant won't be done until after the chemo (which is given over 7 -10 days continuously in the hospital). The chemo is supposed to kill all the marrow. I am then tested to see if I am in remission - if so, then they do the transplant (which is the easy part). If not, they do the chemo gain until remission is obtained. Then the marrow is given by IV and the cells just know where to go. The important thing is not to get sick. I won't have an immune system for several weeks until my body accepts everything - so I will be kept in the hospital in a private room with limited visitors. My house has to be scrubbed clean before I am allowed to go home (rugs, curtains, blinds, filters, vents, dog...) Some insurance companies actually pay for cleaning costs and there are foundations that pay for it if the insurance does not pay. I found a place that gives 10 free cleaning sessions (a 3 man crew comes in and douses everything). I will then have to take anti-rejection medication for a bit and get all new immunization shots just like a baby. I will find out what chemo is planned and when I am going in to the hospital. I have to prepare to be away from home (and my kids and dog) for a month. I get a nutritionist and my own social worker to help plan finances. This thing can cost over 1/2 million dollars (Yipe). Medicare does pay for a transplant, but they may not cover the cost of a search (about $70 for a blood test for the donor to see if they are a match). I think the donor registry doesn't charge for a search As always, Medicare only pays 80%. I have Medicaid as my secondary but have a "spend down" of $310 per month (like a large co-pay). Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the support and prayers....

..·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
-:¦:-
((¸¸.·´ ¸.·´
-:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:-
((¸¸.Maryann -:¦:-´´
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote