View Single Post
Old 05-23-2006, 09:13 AM   #9
AlaskaAngel

Cruelty and sacrifices

Al, I can't say in words how much it means to have a man openly recognize how degrading it is to have these precious parts of us sacrificed without even an attempt at counseling for most of us, much less any actual serious investigation into ways to decrease these problems if at all possible while offering therapy.

For weight gain, I have seen postings from others noting that they refused the use of things like Decadron or asked for lowered doses, as a way of avoiding so much weight gain. I only WISH I would have been more aware of this option when I was doing chemo. I seriously question whether all of this that we get has been standardized for the all-around consideration of benefit vs detriment.

For libido, I think the best place to start is with thorough explanation with counseling PRIOR to and DURING any therapy. For me personally, with dx at age 50, I feel the chemopause effects on libido amounted to the equivalent of a partial lobotomy. I have no idea why doctors would think it is anything else. We already have SOME idea that hormonal balance may be part of the change with homosexuality, so why on earth would we think that such extreme hormonal change would not have a significant effect on the female personality and identity, along with the changes in energy level. We already know that women who are not worried about breast cancer TAKE added estrogen to "feel better".

I participated in the clinical trial for breast cancer patients to be given a low dose of testosterone to see if that would help with libido, because I felt that someone needs to learn more about natural hormonal balance. I think the outcome did not support the use of testosterone but I don't have the actual results and have requested them.

Thanks again for your empathy, Al.
AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote