View Single Post
Old 05-21-2006, 11:11 AM   #9
Kim in CA

Dear Sherry,

From my perspective, I think one of the reasons family can seem like they don't care enough is that they just can't even allow themselves to go there, or to think that you might die. They go on like you just have a bad cold and will be back to your old self in no time. Not that it makes it right, but I think it is their way of coping. There were times when I didn't want to hear, "Oh, You'll get through this and You'll be fine". I guess what I needed to hear was, " I/We worry about you so much and just don't know what I would do without you". Let's face it, we all worry about what would happen if we were no longer around.

My mother has always been my rock. She has known great personal loss over the years(my 2 yr. old brother was hit by a car on my 5th birthday, and then lost my father in 1978 in a plane crash. She also was with her sister when she lost her battle with BC) so she knows all too well the importance of expressing your love when it counts.

In my almost 10 yr. battle with this disease, my husband and kids have gotten so much better about doing little things to let me know how important I am, but there was definitely a learning curve.

Please always feel free to vent here, cause their are lots of us who can relate!

Love, Kim in CA
Kim in CA is offline   Reply With Quote