View Single Post
Old 05-19-2006, 10:07 AM   #5
cherylynnie

Rina,

Be prepared for your white count to go down with the A/C. I had dense dose A/C every two weeks. My hair started to fall out quite a bit around day 18. My mother and daughter cut my hair and then my husband clipped it. Then what hadn't fallen out did so later. Losing my hair was a very difficult thing. I refused to put anything on my head for a couple of days. I guess I had to go through the grieving process.

Constipation was a problem with me as well, I took Senekot. If you think it may be a problem take something the night before and then everynight at least the first week. I finally figured it out by the third and fourth treatment which were much easier than the first two. But by that time I was taking neulasta and arenesp shots. Fatique also lasted about 10 days for me. I only felt better acouple days before they hit me again.

I had soars in my mouth with the second treatment only, which was because my white count was so low, .7, when they gave me that treatment. They take your blood the day of treatment and the week after, so didn't know it was that low until the next day when the results came back. I went in the next day for my first neulasta shot. If they would have known my white count was that low I don't think they would have given me the second dose, they would have waited.

Couldn't eat anything sugary. I went out for chinese with my husband one time and the sweet and sour sauce seemed to peel a layer off my tongue. And sometimes the toothpaste burns your mouth. I think alot depends on your blood counts. The chemo does effect your tastebuds I will agree with that. So as long as they can keep your white and red counts in control you will have less side effects.

YOu will make it through. And if you feel like resting that is what you need to do. I couldn't sleep the whole first month of treatment, then I finally told them. I tried to take benedryl which didn't work so then they had me take ativan. If you don't seem to be getting your sleep don't wait as long as I did to tell them.

I had more side effects but can't remember all of them right now.

Good luck!
4 AC, 4 Taxotere finished 3/15/06
Currently on Herceptin and Tamoxifen
cherylynnie is offline   Reply With Quote