View Single Post
Old 05-07-2006, 12:01 PM   #4
Jean

Early Stage 1

Good Question!
I believe there are a few of us who are getting treatment.
I was dx. with stage 1 very small tumor 3MM..er postive
pr negative - grade 1 - node negative. her2 positive +++

Was advised by oncs. no chemo/herceptin needed..had radiation and now on Arimidex. Did not like what I was hearing since reading about the new research on early bc. with her2 positive. It appears that 1/3 of early stage bc with small tumors - node negative have a recurrance. This really frightened me greatly.
But the onc. continued to consider the size of the turmor and node status.
Well - I insisted on the Oncotype DX test which I had to fight for (this went on for months) the results came back and it read high for recurrance. This was my wake up call and my onc also, who now said chemo/herceptin.

Listen Ladies - pay great attention to the fingerprint of your tumor and the heck with size - in this case "size DOES NOT matter".
I will be starting chemo/herceptin very shortly. I am only very sorry that I did not fight harder than I did - believing that my onc. knew what they were advising. Also to note; I am NOT living in a remote area - I am just outside of New York and all my dr. are in major cancer centers in NY. We are a new generation of cancer patients - we are able to discover cancer much earlier than ever before what with getting exams and the awarness we now place on breast cancer - Digital screening is another big step forward for women. If you are her2 positive - I say approach that early cancer in a strong manner.

Great Post Suzan! Hope your feeling well!
Hugs to all!
Jean
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote