View Single Post
Old 04-23-2006, 09:41 PM   #3
JoyMiller

Bi-lateral mastectomy

I had a bi-lateral mastectomy in February 2005. Overnight in the hospital since the surgery took a little longer and started lated due to the surgeon's previous surgery delay. I was cool with it because I has the dopey drug while I was waiting. No big deal. The overnight rest in the hospital was welcome and the nurses were able to explain about the drains while I was alert enought to understand.

I had no problem with stretching my arms- just the normal movements made it seem like it didn't take long before I was almost back to normal. Not much pain since the nerves are all messed up. The worst for me was the drains- they are necessary, but awkward.

Everyone is different. I was in pretty good shape when I went in and I really think that helped a lot. If you're not in such good shape- do all you can to get your arms moving- the Dr. will be able to suggest some exercises. There is also a book I thought about getting, but didn't, called "Staying Abreast". (I think). I think it was written by a health practicioner of some sort who had a mastectomy and had a very good exercise program and a number of really good tips. It was expensive and since I was doing OK I didn't feel I needed it, but had thought that it sounded really good.

I have not had reconstruction and probably will not. I don't want the additional surgery and am very comfortable with myself- love not wearing a bra, just very lovely camis and tanks under my clothes.

Best wishes to you. This is a difficult time. But it will sort itself out.

Joy
JoyMiller is offline   Reply With Quote